Friday, March 5, 2010

It's Started


Free Agency is under way and The Redskins seem quiet…. For now… Let’s hope that the team finally smartens up and builds the team with youth and through smart moves on Draft day. (One can hope)Then I got the best news when heading home from intro to Religion last night. Well two things actually. Spring Brake started for me today and….




Redskins Overhaul Roster by Releasing 10 Players



I’m so happy to see this going on in the Nation’s Capitol! I felt it was long overdue and something that should have never gotten as bad as it has with the bloated contracts to underachievers. Once I read down the list it gave me an even better feeling that something good is going on in DC!

o Randy Thomas, G – I think this kind of surprised me with the retirement of Samuels. But with his age and the fact that he can’t stay healthy it was easily the right move.

o Cornelius Griffin, DT- I’ve always liked Griffin but started to see his prime pass him by and with the money we pay him and Fat Albert it just didn’t make sense to keep this aging vet..RTR!!

o Antwaan Randle El, WR/PR – This one makes me the happiest! Brought in with huge money to be a return threat and lift our special teams and has done nothing buy disappoint and prove that he is a gadget man who no longer seemed to have his fearlessness in the return game or strike fear in any secondary.

o Rock Cartwright, KR/RB – Losing Rock kind of stinks, he was like a Swiss army knife for our team. He did whatever the team asked him to do and did everything well enough to make an impact. He was undersized but had a huge heart. I’m going to miss him.

o Fred Smoot, CB – I always liked Smoot in his first stint in the Capital. But let’s face it everyone looks better when you have Champ Bailey shutting down half a field. I was tired of him getting burnt or missing tackles this go round. Bye Bye Smoot.

o Ladell Betts, RB - This is the same situation as Rock. Hate to see him go but I guess it’s time. Betts was a 1,000 yard rusher for us a several years ago when Portis went down. He proved that he could be a starting RB and after that year he took less money to stay loyal to the ‘Skins. Well after a knee injury he finds himself unemployed and looking for a job. Loyalty doesn’t always pay you back. I hope he lands on his feet and finds a decent job. He was always class for the Redskins.

o Todd Collins, QB- I’ll always remember Todd Collins for leading us on a 4 game winning streak after the Death of Sean Taylor (#21 RIP) and into the playoffs. Approaching 40 it’s time for him to hang it up and take it to the house.

o Also Released - Running back Marcus Mason, fullback Eddie Williams and defensive end J.D. Skolnitsky.

Now I know there is still a lot of time left in Free agency … Hell who knows what has happened since I have been typing this but this was a good start to what we need to do to get out of these doldrums that we seem to like hang out in for the last 18 years.
Few Notes on some things I’ve seen in FA so far.

1.Panthers cut Jake Delhomme –What took so long? Make way for Vick.
2.Colts Keep Gary Brackett –Smart move makes too much sense.
3.Jets Trade for Antonio Cromartie –Should fit in well with an already stellar D.
4.Chargers Cut LT – In a what have you done for me lately league and your answer is not much…Time to move on...It sucks but it’s what is best for both parties.


4th and 5
5 best Run Franchises in the League Today





1.Pittsburgh Steelers – When you win every argument with Got 6? It’s hard to start anywhere but here. Rooney is one of the best all-time hands down.

2.New England Patriots – The best team of the last Decade. Has in place the perfect system with the owner and coach to match. Hate all you want…They’re great.

3.Indianapolis Colts – Won a superbowl a couple of years ago and just played for another one. QB that can seem to make any offense go and great owner and GM have kept this team at the top and in the hunt for Decade.

4.Philadelphia Eagles – I hate this team and their fans will probably say that they suck. But they have been getting it done for awhile now despite a Superbowl loss.(How is a fan base with no Super Bowl wins sense of entitlement so out of whack?) With Reid in Philly they have been contenders year in and year out. I can’t wait to see Mcnabb leave so you can actually see what a good QB he is.

5.New York Giants – With a Super Bowl a couple of years ago, a solid tradition, and making sure that there down time is never too long they seem to have a handle on the Cap and handling free agency. I think the gap between 4th and 5th on this list is pretty wide but after this it’s even wider (…. All though I do like the Ravens moving up)

Where do my beloved Skins rank? 32nd….But that’s a whole blog of its own.

1 comment:

49erfan said...

Randy great start. I like the the top five franchise's even though sadly my 49ers didn't make the list. Good breakdown for skin fans but of course a more mixed approach would draw more interest. So far the skins haven't made any big spending moves but I don't think they'll ever get to the point of were they rely on the draft like the 49ers do.